First Post;Long Time Lurker

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
Oldrook
Facebook ID: 0

First Post;Long Time Lurker

Postby Oldrook » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:48 pm

Gents,

Have a strong desire to bring my eastern coonhounds out west to try and tree a bobcat and a Lion.. Possible? Put in for an ID houndsman permit this year, we will see if we get drawn.. Sent in a membership to the E Idaho houndmen association as well..

Old, fat, but can get around decent and have pretty good coon dogs.. How tough is the transition gonna be on the hounds?
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: First Post;Long Time Lurker

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:19 pm

Are you running bobcats there where you’re at?

Edit:
That’s where I would recommend starting. Also you’ll need to exercise your dogs more and get their feet tougher. The steep mountains with snow and rock will wear a dog out while bloodying their feet. I live and hunt in Nevada. If there isn’t any snow, I walk ridges or drive roads looking for tracks. Dragging roads to wipe out tire tracks in the afternoon will show over night tracks the next day.
Oldrook

Postby Oldrook » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:59 pm

Rowdy,

No cat hunting near me, legally anyways.. I had my hounds get on one up in MI last year and I caught them off it after about an hour crossing a road.

I live in Northern, IN - we have a very few native cats, but real spotty until about 3 hours south of me or 2 1/2 hours north..

Good thought on the feet, might even try some toughening agent like pad kote or something.. I hunt pretty hard on coon, but our country is sure enough soft in comparison to yours..
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:19 pm

Okay, that’s a start. They’re willing to run a bobcat. Some dogs just won’t follow a lion or bobcat track or they overrun it. Dry ground hunting is very tough. Just finding a track is really hard most of the time. It’s easier to hunt 24 hours after a snow. It gives you the ability to see a track and age it. A lot of guys will try box a track in if possible.
I use Tuff Foot this time of year. You can get it on Ebay or Double U hunt supply.
Oldrook

Postby Oldrook » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:46 pm

Thanks much Rowdy.. I believe my hounds would run a cat of any kind.. Paticularly if I encouraged it.. They handle pretty well and are gamey..
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:50 pm

No problem. Hope it helps.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”