At what age do you start breeding a gyp?

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
rickyfarrell10
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

At what age do you start breeding a gyp?

Postby rickyfarrell10 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:22 pm

I have a plott gyp she is 2 be 3 in November. Really fast, smart, gritty and can run all day long. So my question is what age would you breed her. I’m leaning toward sooner then later because she is gritty and ends up getting tore up on a mean bear. Second question is, if I breed her will it affect her hunting, slow her down etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: At what age do you start breeding a gyp?

Postby lawdawgharris » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:48 pm

My OPINION is breed her when you can if she has shown you enough to prove to you that she’s worthy. She had a hazardous occupation and is gritty too. If you wait there’s a chance you won’t get the opportunity. I have seen a pile of hog hunters that wished they had bred dogs when they had the opportunity instead of putting it off. As far as it slowing her down it isn’t going to. Obviously she won’t be in shape when you start her back but that’s not the same thing. I think it helps young gyps mentally mature a little more. I’ve seen a lot of them that were better dogs when they started back to hunting just because they had a different mentality.

rickyfarrell10
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: At what age do you start breeding a gyp?

Postby rickyfarrell10 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:20 pm

That’s one of my main reasons to why I want to go ahead and breed her. I know anytime I turn her loose it could be the last time. Now with that being said In December she walked two different bear and never ended up with a hole. Hoping she might of smartened up

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogsâ€