That’s very well said Perk and I agree 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Pure or cross bred

Postby pegleg » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:27 pm

Breed straight. Very few people have the money or time to cross up hounds and get any further then that. You take two half and half dogs and breed them together you get a genetic mess that takes a good while to sort through and line out again. Even in the case of a required out cross inside a breed or out regardless. It’s best to breed out select the most consistent halfbreed and breed right back into the main line before you expect to see anything of import
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:58 pm

I prefer cross bred but selective breeding with a purpose. No incest, no line breeding or random breeding.
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:25 am

I like tight bred registers walker fox hounds for fox and cat hunting but that doesn’t mean that cross bred dogs are inferior or don’t have their place.
I agree with a lot of examples expressed with one exception. I too want all the littermate of a sire or dam to be cracker jacks with one exception “the freak” a dog who’s litter mates may be average or low average but it is a rock star, excels in every aspect of the hunt. That dog got something none of the others got. If you don’t experiment breeding it you will never know if it will produce the same.
Some sires or dams are just good producers. I had a bitch one time that was a good high average hound. I bred her once and every pup was better than she was. Then she got accidentally bred to a very average dog, that whole litter was was better than the sire and dam.
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:14 pm

Scrubrunner I agree with breeding to the freak if his littermates are average. If it is a super tightly bred dog I would gamble on it too. I always want to breed to the best possible sire and dam I can. I probably wouldn’t breed to that freak that isn’t tightly bred and has low average to poor siblings though. To me those odds are too far fetched to gamble on. You are also correct in some dogs will out produce themselves. It’s crazy how things work. I had a male dog that did just that. He was a real nice dog but several of his offspring were just a little better in my opinion. He had a sister that was only bred once and only had one pup. It was accidental and my buddy that had the gyp let another guy have the pup. This guy was a full time cowboy. He started using her at 6 months old. At 10 months she was as good as his seasoned old dogs. At a year old he said she would wear out two sets of dogs in the summer. When he would take them to water the other dogs would fall out in the water and drink and drink. He said she would go through the shallow water and take a couple laps of water on her way through and right back to work. His whole pack of cow dogs all go back to our stuff now. The litter mate brother to these two dogs was a real nice dog. But didn’t produce anything that better than low average and started a lot later. Nothing about them except build was the family norm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:24 pm

I can recognize a freak in tree dogs but in running type dogs I don’t think I’ve ever seen what I would call a freak. I’ve seen some a lot better than others but not freak better. Squirrel dogs do definitely have freaks. Anybody that’s hunted squirrels with dogs know what I’m talking about.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:44 pm

Scrub, have you ever saw a male and female that you could say for sure all their littermates were cracker jacks ?

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”