What are the top 10 items you think you need but don’t?

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
Nufo
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

What are the top 10 items you think you need but don’t?

Postby Nufo » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:14 pm

Wanted to hear everyone’s opinion on this. As you know hunting and especially hound hunting is really expensive.

What are the to 10 items someone new to hound hunting might think they need but could actually save money and do with out?

Also what are the top 10 things they actually need?

Can’t wait to hear your responses

Mike
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: What are the top 10 items you think you need but don’t?

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:59 pm

Don’t buy a nice truck or side by side for hunting. Save the money and buy a dedicated truck like a old Ranger or old Toyota. Then put a quality lift, lockers a winch and tires on it. You’ll save money because you aren’t beating up your daily driver or paying out the butt for a side by side. You’ll be able to drive it to and from the area you hunt and won’t have to deal with a trailer.
GVBEAR
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby GVBEAR » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:07 pm

Top 12 must haves:
1.Good Comfy boots
2.Quality Compass
3. GPS system of your liking(with shock, tone, ans vibrate capabilities)
4. Spare battery for GPS system of your liking
5. Lighter or fire starter
6. Emergency blanket
7. Leashes or gang chain to tie dogs out or back
8. A few granola bars
9. Quality VHF radio whether hunting with someone or just checking the weather when hunting alone
10. Small first aid kit
11. Flash light or head light
12. Bottle of water, can use it to collect water later too

I carry that in a back pack when I hunt well besides the boots. Then in the truck if you have a air compressor and basic tools should be alright. A jug of water with a dish or two depending on how many dogs and area you might find a creek or something.

Rowdy is right you don't need a new vehicle or side by side, but depending where you are going might not be able to use a side by side or truck might just have to stick to a ATV because of wheel base restrictions or foot.The top 10 things ya don't need will very on opinion, in the long run less is usually better. They make a lot of cool gadgets but the gadgets don't catch game so being able to pay for a tank of gas to take the dogs hunting might be better than the watch that tells you the dog is 600 yards a certain direction.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:41 pm

I like gv's list but would add at number 1 a very understanding and forgiving wife lol . A reliable truck that does well in the woods is a must, and knowing where u live you better bite the bullet and buy a fan cooled light weight snowmobile build u a dog sled to pull behind it. Add good tire chains and a shovel for the truck and snowmobile....wait did anyone add a pile of money to the list. :lol:
Nufo
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Nufo » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:44 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I know my biggest need to get on game for where I live is a snowmobile. Hunting on foot isn’t the best means for covering this country. I hunt from a jeep so I’m pretty capable with lockers and all the off road needs. Most of our roads are only open for tracked vehicles so I have to explore to find more that stay open for wheels
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:04 am

I've got a rmk ultra light sitting out beside the shed, I put new pistons and rings in it then parked it and haven't used it in like 2 years. If your interested I'd give u a good deal on it. Has pull lever reverse, ran just fine when I parked it, has a short in the head lights and needs a pull cord retractor. I think u have my number give me a call if your interested.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”