Two Dog pack

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
Pointers
Facebook ID: 0

Two Dog pack

Postby Pointers » Tue May 02, 2023 1:16 am

Hello,
I am interested in bear hunting. My background is bird hunting. I am limited on the number of dogs I can have in the suburbs though.
Is it reasonable to hunt bear with two dogs?
As my bird dogs are starting to age out i would like to get some hounds. I will keep a pointer for south dakota and michigan. My bear hunting opportunities would be Michigan and NC.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Two Dog pack

Postby Beebout-it » Tue May 02, 2023 5:09 pm

If thats all you can have it will have to do. Guys in other countries are limited to 2 dogs on the ground at all times so it can be done, you'll just need to be very honest with yourself if the dogs are going to be able to handle it or not, and I mean each individual dog. With only having 2 you want them to be doing their part and not leaving 1 to fend for itself. Some bears can be treed with 1 dog and some bears aren't going to be treed by 100 dogs. Do your homework and get dogs from proven bear dogs.
Twopipe
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Twopipe » Wed May 03, 2023 1:33 pm

Very good advice Beebout-it.
Don Kamphouse wrote a book entitled One is Enough that has a lot of good info on the traits necessary that a dog must possess in order to be a successful bear hound.
A good dog hunts wherever he's set down.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Wed May 03, 2023 8:28 pm

Just ordered that book on Amazon only 13 dollars, I've caught a lot of critters with just one dog as well, thats how I was taught to train them was make um do it alone first, makes for some great dogs!
Pointers

Postby Pointers » Thu May 11, 2023 11:36 pm

Thank you all for the reply. Especially about being honest about the skills of a hunting dog. My hound experience is limited though. I will have much to learn about bear hunting with hounds. I'm sure it would be helpful to go with someone here. I plan on ordering the book soon.

Would it help if I let some of my GSPs run with them as a pack? I will not use my field trial dog, but wild bird dogs.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Fri May 12, 2023 4:32 pm

If the wife's pomeranian with stay in the race send it as well, but more than likely they won't stay with them but knows till you try
Renagade Curs
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Renagade Curs » Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:12 pm

A lot of guys use GSP's for hog dogs because of their nose hunting ability and hours in a long race and I know guy's running full GSP's and GSP/hound crosses for deer dogs and that seems to really be picking up speed down south in the big deer dog hunting clubs some have went completely away from full hounds to the GSP or some other type of bird dog crossed on running hounds or tree bred hounds... So don't be afraid to try it I'd say...

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”