Coonhound Training

Talk about Coon Hunting
trentonmoore292

Coonhound Training

Postby trentonmoore292 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:53 am

I’m new to the sport of coon hunting and I was wondering for some ways to train my hound and I figured most of y’all would know more about it than I would do I would greatly appreciate the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Coonhound Training

Postby david » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:52 am

Welcome Trenton. If you have any specific questions, throw them out and see if anyone can help you. otherwise we always recommend the "Walk With Wick the Treedog Encyclopedia" and I am pretty sure you can google it and find a copy. Maybe even Double U hound supply might have a copy for sale.

Then, this coon hunting section has 22 pages of listings going back to 2007. If you click on coon hunting and look down at the bottom you will see page numbers going all the way back to page 22. Just start at the front or at the back and start reading. it should keep you busy for a long time. It might help you realize what your questions are also...

Bear and lion and bobcat hunters have long used coonhound breeds, so when you get through the coon hunting section, just pick another section and start reading that too, because a dog is a dog, and that's what you will be using too. So lots of things will cross over in to all hound and cur hunting.

blessings, good luck and keep us informed.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Coonhound Training

Postby macedonia mule man » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:51 am

Trent, you live in a state loaded with coon hunters. Should be able to find a dog of any color or breed. Get you a compass two flashlights and you are in the coon hunting mode. Start walking ditches and creeks, it will come natural. You may not know what you are doing at first but you will recognize what you need to be doing when you do it. Hunt by yourself, you will not be confused with other people’s wants and desires.

Return to “Coon Hunting”