Bobcat dog semen?

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
johnadamhunter
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Bobcat dog semen?

Postby johnadamhunter » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:27 pm

I know a lot of guys east of the Mississippi who have nice registered hounds collect and store semen. I hear about a number of dogs that are top notch when it comes to treeing/catching bobcat in the western states. I am curious, do any of you guys, who have really nice bobcat dogs in PNW, collect and store semen? There’s a lot of old blood, mostly crossbred, being hunted today, is any of it being preserved?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nelson Cole

Re: Bobcat dog semen?

Postby Nelson Cole » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:56 pm

HELLO-- NELSON COLE FROM MAINE HERE-- I HAVE A WHITE CLOUD BRED MALE WALKER I GOT FROM JERRY LAYFIELD IN OHIO--- JERRY COLLECTED SEMAN FROMY DOG "FLOYD" THAT IS A GOOD ALL AROUND BOBCAT AND BEAR HOUND-- YOU CAN CONTACT JERRY ON FACE BOOK -- WHITE CLOUD BRED WALKERS. I MAKE ABOUT 90 PERCET OF MY LIVIND HOUND HUNTING SO I TRY TO KEEP BETTER THAN AVERAGE HOUNDS-- FLOYD HAS SIRED PUPS FROM 5 DIFFERENT FEMALES AND ALL PUPS ARE GOOD TO EXCELLENT DEPENDIND HOW MUCH THEY ARE HUNTED-- YOU CAN CALL ME IF YOU WANT-- 207-242-3363 -- NELSON
johnadamhunter
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby johnadamhunter » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:20 am

Not wanting any. Just curious if anyone was trying to preserve any of the old stock.

merlo_105
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby merlo_105 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:40 pm

Johnadamhunter, Plenty of people on the West coast are collecting. These are gonna be the serious guys for the most part. And there not gonna do much talk about it cause there keeping it for themselves or in a very close group. Not sure why everyone chooses to go to the old stuff. If everything is being done right which I know a lot of people are, the dogs now should be twice the dog compared to the past dogs. Sure this is true for many cases and people. But most the old hound fellas I know might have one or two dogs from the past they could compare to the dogs they are hunting now. But anywho, Yes plenty of people collecting.
johnadamhunter
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby johnadamhunter » Tue May 12, 2020 9:11 pm

Merlo, I agree with you totally.

dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Thu May 14, 2020 3:05 pm

I will agree that there are more better bobcats dogs today them in the past 20 to 40 years. When there was a bear and cougar season most people ran everything. Now we have bobcat hunters that are mixing running dog with tree dogs to get bobcat dogs. There is a lot of good blood and bobcat hunters now because thats what we hunt. That said the best bobcat dog that I have every hunted was born in 1978 and I have owned and hunted some goods since but not as good. What I see today in bobcat dogs that concerns me now is loosing the real cold nose dogs that will not trail a back track that know when they are trailing 2 bobcats and go back for the other one after you kill the first treed, that make all the corners of a cat not over running it, that do not over bark on track or bark going to other dogs. I have owned dogs that jump most of the bobcats that they start tree or catch them on the ground most bobcats that they jump. To give an example the Pee Wee and Breeze pair [half sisters] started a bobcat at 7;00 AM trailed it on bare ground through 3 major creek drainages across a major river and jumped it at 9:30 PM and tree after a typical 15 minute race. In most cases a jumped race does not last 5 to 20 minutes with the right dogs. If your dogs make the corners with no looses. Dewey
undertheradar
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby undertheradar » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:21 pm

I guess every area is different and so are hunters. I cannot imagine trailing a cat for 12 hours. I really enjoy a hard hunting dog that when they finally do open on a track it can be jumped fairly quickly.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:25 am

From what is see on video and the conversation I’ve had with dry ground pure tree dog hunters, it the satisfaction of watching a dog taking an extremely old track and working on it. I’m sure the people hunting this way can tell right away about how old the track is and basically know if they have a chance to tree . I think I could enjoy a little of this until they make the third trip over the same rocks,opening at the same places. Should be making big circles and searching out of there pretty quick. A man hunting for money probably hunts two ways, one to catch and satisfy his client to get paid and leaning on the saddle horn and wondering how in the world these dogs can smell that. It will definitely tell what to breed to get a cold nose. I’d like to spend a season with one to see what’s happening, can’t really tell by short video and conversations over a pot of coffee. By gone tales get stretched a bit.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:48 am

If a dog is worth collecting semen on, he should have produced something ( male and female) that has produced something at least as good as he was. That would take a lot of years to know for sure. Breeding good dog that you or hunting at the time to other good dogs has proven best for me.

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”