Live Trapping Bobcats

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
Doghunter86

Live Trapping Bobcats

Postby Doghunter86 » Sun May 15, 2022 1:33 pm

Anyone have any advice, tips, techniques, know how, experience on doing it? Not looking to catch a bunch, just one or two to turn out for the dogs.
Nufo
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: Live Trapping Bobcats

Postby Nufo » Tue May 17, 2022 12:18 am

Some good videos on YouTube
bluedog4
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby bluedog4 » Tue May 17, 2022 9:29 pm

I heard when they live trapped the Canadian Lynx to transplant down south of the boarder they used Chanel No 5, the expensive stuff, just one drop on the bait worked well.
kolob2034

Postby kolob2034 » Thu May 19, 2022 6:32 pm

I think most trappers at one time look for that mystical smell that will supposedly catch everything. I have heard of many of them. There are two smells that are pretty much universal attractors and that is skunk essence and beaver castor. Both will attract cats.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Mon May 23, 2022 7:34 am

"bluedog4
I heard when they live trapped the Canadian Lynx to transplant down south of the boarder they used Chanel No 5, the expensive stuff, just one drop on the bait worked well.”

I thought that’s what those Canadian lynxes we’re wearing to live trap males?

Doghunter86

First you’ll need a quality live trap. The cheap ones from tractor supply or big R will work but are kinda flimsy and are clunky. Check out a online trapping catalog. Find an area that has them, set your trap, brush it in so they can see through it but not around it. Kinda like a tunnel. Put your bait, attractant and a visual lure like feathers or a piece of fur in the back.

Out in front of it, hang up a large feather or something shiny to catch their eye. Put out some skunky smelling lure at the trap door and you’re set. The key is to find an area with tracks and once its set don’t mess with it. It may take a month or more for that cat to come back but they’ll be there eventually. There are tons of scents that work. Just find a combo you wanna try. YouTube is a great resource and so is Facebook if you can find a trapping page.
Doghunter86

Postby Doghunter86 » Sun May 29, 2022 10:40 pm

Ok thanks guys. I've got the trap for the job for sure, I just knew there had to be more to it then trapping coons lol.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Beebout-it » Mon May 30, 2022 1:35 am

Fntpost.com carries Mercer Lawings caging Bobcats video its a pretty good watch and very helpful getting started.

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”