(Portable) Camp dog houses?

hamilton10
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: (Portable) Camp dog houses?

Postby hamilton10 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:23 pm

I have a 16' x 6' metal top gooseneck trailer that I hunt out of. At the bottom of the front under the goosneck on the passenger side I installed a metal toolbox door. One like goes on the toolbox of on a flatbed truck. It has a keyed locking latch. Then I put a 6' x 4' x 28'' wood box inside that is made with a 2''x4'' frame covered with hardy board siding. It only has 3 sides and a top because its bolted to the front of the trailer inside. The wood box has vent holes inside the trailer to keep dogs cooler in hot weather. Hay for bedding. When in camp I have a chain trotline I can hook up 8 dogs to. They stay on the trotline until bedtime, then I put them in the box if its cold so they can get some rest. By keeping them on the trotline after feeding until bedtime they never crap in the box. When traveling I put all my camp gear, saddles, tack ect.. on and around the dog box, close the partition gate in the trailer and haul my mules in the very back. In the frame of the gooseneck hitch I built a 90-100 gallon water tank to haul water in to dry camps. I never fill the water tank until I have to because 100 gallons of water weighs 830 lbs.
Lil Joes BigGame hounds
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Lil Joes BigGame hounds » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:29 am

's bear and AZ camp 023 [320x200].jpg
's bear and AZ camp 023 [320x200].jpg (26.23 KiB) Viewed 7648 times

My houses that I have used are collapsible or stackable dependin on how you make them. but one thing is for sure they are alot cheaper than anything you can buy. On the collapsible ones they have hindges on two sides and they fold down flat. the back peice was a tri-angle sheet of ply wood. When set up the house would be a tri angle with a open front. a 1x6 would go across the floor to keep the shavings in the house.

's bear and AZ camp 015 [320x200].jpg
's bear and AZ camp 015 [320x200].jpg (29.88 KiB) Viewed 7648 times

The stackable ones do not have a bottom so you can dig out the bottom and fill it with shavigs. If set on high ground it will not fill with water and usually wont get too wet. These houses you can build 2 out of one sheet of ply wood. I use a 1x6 to help keep the shavings in.

's bear and AZ camp 012 [320x200].jpg
's bear and AZ camp 012 [320x200].jpg (29.31 KiB) Viewed 7648 times

This is a set up of a outfitter I worked for they were nice houses but were way to expensive. But he liked them and it worked good for him. Just some ideas hope you enjoy.
Joe Troyer Socorro, N.M.
575-707-3727

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

--H. G. Rickove
1hogwild
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby 1hogwild » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:33 am

When you run your chain for all your dogs. just tie a rope from tree to tree and hang a tarp like a lean too. keeps them out of the rain and tarps are cheap. You can two heavy duty tarps from costco for under $20.
US Army Retired
dirtydan
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby dirtydan » Mon May 30, 2011 3:23 am

I like those collapsible A Frames Joe posted. With a few well placed hinges you could make it all one piece and store it away nice. Looks simple, durable and efficient. Add a few eye loops to stake it down and one more to tether the chains too.
nitetime
Facebook ID: 0

Postby nitetime » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:58 am

I bought a old snowmobile trailer and put some plywood side on it and c.l. 8 foot trucktopper on it. Then put a dog box in front part of the trailer. Dogs can get out and pee or poop, drink then lay down.
luckyboy

Postby luckyboy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:53 pm

I've seen dog tents before idk how warm it is but maybe just regular dog grates and take me apart and stack em together while traveling just an idea
Dale T
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dale T » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:58 pm

I use the big storage bins you get at Wal-mart, cut a hole in one end, stuff some hay in them, turn them upside down then I run a couple of the cheap tent stakes though the top lip of the bin though the lid and stake it to the ground, they work pretty good as long as you can keep the dogs from chewing on them.

Return to “DIY (Do it Yourself)â€