Grade Lion Hounds

A Place to Discuss Grade and Mixed Breed dogs
Dan V
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Grade Lion Hounds

Postby Dan V » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:36 pm

Here are some crossed up hounds that were bred for lions. They are litter mates and were bred by Tom Bledsoe. He owns the blue dog on the bottom, and I got the white one from him as a pup. They are a mix of blue tics, red tics, walkers and whatever will cold trail, catch a lion and have tuff feet. They are just hounds

Lets see some cross bred dogs that were bred with lions in mind.

Also, what are the traits and characteristics you strive for in a lion hound (feet, brains, nose, treeing, grit, size etc)

DV
waylon
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Grade Lion Hounds

Postby waylon » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:36 am

Thats an awesome pic, glad to see some grade lion dogs getting it done
ROMANS 3:24
LET YOUR HOUNDS DO THE BRAGGING
hunt14
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby hunt14 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:40 am

Dan,
good stuff! I have heards Tom's name a few times in the lion hunting circles. Give us a little history on his dogs. Another guy from Idaho that I have heard good things about is an older gentleman named George Duncan. Ive heard he has some pretty good dogs and wondered what he had as well.

All of my dogs are grade dogs from Stan Mecham/Bert Emett, Hal Mecham, a little of Jeff Allans stuff and I also have a real nice pup that came from a gov. hunter in California. Here is a pic of one of my females down on the paunsaghaunt in southern utah. The date on the pic is wrong. Rarely do I have a digital camera with me but Im getting better about grabbing it.

The lion
Dan V
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Dan V » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:47 am

Hunt14,
Those are some great pics. I can tell that dog WANTS that lion. Whats the story on that dog?

A little history on Tom's dogs:
He used to live in NM and hunted with Mike Leonard for years. The 2 dogs in that pic are out of a cross Tom made with some dogs that he got from Mike; and those dogs were some that Mike bred from his older Goswick strain mixed with Jeff Allen's older strain.

I really like how durable and tuff these dogs are. They stand up to the heat and the cold. They have tuff feet. They can be hunted in the rocks day after day.
jimm

Postby jimm » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:16 am

Here's my dog Blucifer. He's out of Jeff Allans stuff. Been on quite a few lions, does pretty good on bears too. In CA I'm limited to my out of state lion hunts.

I look for grit and speed and he's got that. He puts his nose the ground and goes.

Big Mike
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Big Mike » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:01 pm

Couple mutts May and Penny ( closest to the lion). They could sure enough get it done in the dirt. Their Gone now wish i had a couple more like em
Attachments
May and Penny.JPG
Gamedog

Postby Gamedog » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:41 pm

Nice photo's guys!
hunt14
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hunt14 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:49 am

Dan
That female is the only dog that I have that isnt related some how to the rest of my dogs. She came from Az. She is out of a bloodhound female that was a decent good lion dog and her father was a bluetick who had a little bit of smoky river and cameron in him. I really like this dog. She is as gentle as they come but when she gets a nose full of lion she is all business. She trees well unlike alot of bloodhound or bloodhound crosses. There are things I would change about her but she has done well on lions.

Hard to beat these good ol grade dogs day in and day out. IMO, if you are trailing lions in tough conditions, they are hard to beat for consistency in nose, tough feet, and mental and physical endurance JMO.

Good pics guys! keep them coming.
Rockcreek
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rockcreek » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:15 am

Dan- Good looking dogs and sweet pic. I like those type of dogs myself buddy.

Reagan- That's a fine looking bitch. If she does the job, that's all that matters.

Jim and Mike- Sweet pics as well. Thanks for sharing.

I would post some pics, but it seems that everytime I do... all hell breaks loose. Hahahahaha!

You guys take care.
Mason Workman
702-686-5035
Got Hounds?
Rockcreek
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rockcreek » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:59 am

Here is a grade bitch that I really like a lot. She's Kim Payne/ Wade Lemon bred and is making a nice little dog. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

Mason Workman
702-686-5035
Got Hounds?
Big Mike
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Big Mike » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:50 am

Here's a couple more mutts. The redtick I got from Mike Root as a pup. Mike's dogs go back to Homer Bryant. The bluetick looking dog is out of the redtick which I bred to a Black and tan lookn dog that came from Wes henderson stock which also go back to Homer Bryant or at least i was told. Tough dogs that can last day after day horseback, with great feet.

Only problem with this picture is we were trashing on bear that day LOL
Attachments
S&O.JPG
hunt14
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hunt14 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:33 pm

Big Mike,
There is some good stuff running through those dogs! It seems that so many of those real good lion hunters down south have those red ticked dogs (Goswicks, Shelley, Bryant) Whats the connection? :wink:

Rockcreek- regardless of what is done or said on here you've got dogs that can get it done and have pleased some picky, tough houndsman for many years. Good luck with that little dog.

Jim- which dogs of Jeffs is your dog out of?
Brady Davis
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Brady Davis » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:19 pm

Mason, nice pics. I'd say those are pretty damn clear pictures for a cell phone!
Dan V
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Dan V » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:31 am

Big Mike-

Mason-

Jimm-

Hunt14-

What made these GRADE dogs succesful at catching lions?

Did they come from lion dogs? How many generations?

A friend of mine said once "you dont go to a dairy to buy eggs." We were talking about lion dogs when he said this. It kinda stuck with me.
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:31 pm

Dan V's dog may be grade but the are in my opinion a very high grade. Shirley and her littermate in the photo are both sired by Tuck and out of Molly. I raised both those dogs and Tuck was sired by Gunner(Jeff Allen old stock ) and mother was Josie ( Double bred Big John (Goswick/Layser). Their mother was Molly and she was sired by Booger(Again Jeff Allen old stock) and her mother was also Josie ( Goswick/ Layser) so as I said pretty high GRADE lion stock in my opinion.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............

Return to “Grade Dogs”