Matthes Hounds

A Place to Discuss Grade and Mixed Breed dogs
Jeff Eberle
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Matthes Hounds

Postby Jeff Eberle » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:04 pm

You just don't hear alot about them. I know they go way back to Lilly & Butler. But what about today Matthes hound. What are their limits are they just Bear & Lion or can they hold their own in a bobcat or fox race against good varmit dogs?
Get JESUS In Your Life & Your Dog's In The Wood's

CLAVEY RIVER CUR'S
Dan V
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Matthes Hounds

Postby Dan V » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:05 pm

I hear there are some people who have dogs that are related to Steve Matthes' old dogs, and I have heard some good things about them.

I do know the Matthes dogs in Steve's book sure looked like good hounds. They were successful at cathing lions and jaguars. And they looked like they were tuff dogs that were about the right size to hold up to hard hunting. From the book and from the articles of Steve's that I have read; it looks like he tried to breed "natural lion hounds."
Last edited by Dan V on Sun May 15, 2011 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Mike
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Big Mike » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:40 pm

When I first got into hounds I got some half Matthes/plott bred dogs from Dick Muldoon. Steve supposely gave dick some of his pure Matthes dogs before he died(so I was told).

They were 1-2 year old dogs when i bought them. None of them worked out but I was very green in hounds then. As I look back I think one of them would have made a good bear dog had I been a better trainer.

Funny as I think about with all Ive learned over the years I should have seen all kinds of buyer beware signs but O'well its all in fun!
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:03 am

there's a guy in south east CO that was advertising mathes bred hounds a few times the last i heard was fairly recent he was still hunting them. I believe he got them from a second breeder, not positive either way. I am not positive on what he hunts with them mostly either.
Jeff Eberle
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Jeff Eberle » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:13 pm

Alan Ksiazek here in Calif. has so of the purest Matthes blood to be fround. I not looking to find them I know where they are I just looking to hear what you know about TODAYS Matthes hound I know Steve has been died for some time how. And others have been breeding what he started. So my ??? is about today Matthes hound what do you know of them?
Get JESUS In Your Life & Your Dog's In The Wood's

CLAVEY RIVER CUR'S
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:25 pm

best way to find out is talk to the guys hunting them. and so I pointed you in that direction.
johnnie hamilton
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby johnnie hamilton » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:52 pm

Matthes hounds were mainly hunted on cats. Jay Waring in southeast Colorado still has some of that blood line. When Esaus Red was still alive he bred him to a really good female. All of those dogs made good dry ground cat dogs. There are two of the males still alive. One is Streak that Eddie Eddleman owns and the other one it Jed. They are round 14. Those two men just had a litter that are about 9 to 10 months old. They lined Streak back up close on a red female. I was very impressed at how trail minded the pups are. If you have more questions on that line of dogs call Jay. 719-384-4282
Dan V
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Dan V » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:35 pm

Jeff,

What can you tell us about the dogs you mentioned that Alan Ksaizek has. I think its great if a guy can continue or improve upon another man's line of dogs; especially if the founder of that line is dead and you can keep the flame going.

Have you hunted around them? Are they natural cat dogs? Do they excell in one area or another? Does Alan feel they are better than what he started with, similar to what he started with...or were some of the earlier dogs stronger in the dominent traits that Matthes had?

Dan
beardog003
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby beardog003 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:50 pm

Hey Dan V , I saw your post and just wanted to comment from my experiance with Alan's Strain as I have one that is half Matthes and half Shockley bred and that pup is going on 5 months old and I would not sell the dog, as he is doing fantastic. Now like I said he is half Matthes and half shockley bred so I can't say for sure that he turned out like he did from one strain or the other but I am sure liking him, at around 3 months he was running house cats around my place and at four months he is rolling with coon balling up and getting right back up and going in and grabbing when given a chance.

I have heard about his strain of Matthes' from different people who knows dogs around my neck of the woods and all have said they are the purest around.Alan is also a good guy to talk to as he keeps good records of crooses he made and know's where his dogs are from and a lot about others hounds as well.
BULFYTR
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby BULFYTR » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:07 pm

I also have some of alans blood half/matthes-half/shockly one of them is going on 3 years old the other is just over a year both are great dogs the 3 year old dog will strike run and catch his own bear. the younger dog has been on a dozzen or so coons and 3 bear and seems to be coming on very strong. they both are very fast to catch on to what you want them to do. also very fast on there feet. some times a little hard to catch at the end of the day but that is ok with me.atleast you know no no one else will be picking up your dog.these are the best dogs i have hunted todate.

Return to “Grade Dogs”