Cattahoula working dog wanted

A Place to Discuss Grade and Mixed Breed dogs
walker1

Cattahoula working dog wanted

Postby walker1 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:59 pm

We own a large cattle ranch up here in washington and the heelers and collies dont really have enough grit for the brush. any advice?
Dan V
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Cattahoula working dog wanted

Postby Dan V » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:15 pm

Are you looking for hold up dogs? or more of the herding type?

I have been around some good cattahoulas, that were great as hold up dogs and could stop really trotty/trashy cows. They would bay up cattle like good bear dogs bay up a bear. Hounds can also be used to stop cattle. I have seen a lot of cattahoula type dogs crossed with grade lion hounds that were succesful at catching cattle and really helped catching lions. Some lion hunters I know swear by having cattle dogs in their pack. They really help with jumped lions.

I have heard good things about the hanging tree cowdogs. They are blend of border collie, cattahoula and kelpie. I have also heard there is maybe a little ausi sheperd thrown in there. They have slick hair, bark and have the herding instinct of the border collie/kelpie.

I worked around some real tough dogs that did great at getting trashy/stubborn cattle out of the willow/brush infested creek bottoms. I forgot what they were called, but they were a dark colored, wire hair looking dog with kind of a bearded face.

These dogs were impressive. I have some video of them getting the job done, but I cant figure out how to put it on here.

Also, not all border collies are created equal. I have seen some that were double tuff and gritty. I had some that were really lacking in the grit dept, I had one that was not. She was an Erickson bred red/white border collie. I have seen some others that were almost human ( maybe better than some humans) an were really double tough.
Last edited by Dan V on Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
three rivers catahoulas
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Cattahoula working dog wanted

Postby three rivers catahoulas » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:30 pm

I have been raiseing a line of cow dogs for the past ten years, and they have proven them selves time and time again, for me and on some fairly large cattle operations. I have been crossing Queensland X Kelpie X Border Collie X Catahoula and these dogs are gritty and smart, I'm makeing one more cross into these dogs with some blue lacy. If that dont work out I'll just stick to what I have. But I have two male pups from my last litter that I have decided to sell I'm only keeping the one male and another female, so I'm gonna let these two go. I want $250.00/ea or $425.00/the two of'em. Let me know if your interested 530-347-9336
Chuck Ferrell & Devil Mt. Plott hounds

Return to “Grade Dogs”