Looking Broke Coyote Dog

A place to talk about coyote Hunting with dogs
#LHB#
Facebook ID: 0

Looking Broke Coyote Dog

Postby #LHB# » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:35 pm

Looking for a broke dog that will take a track from the road and get it jumped. Im in NE North Carolina. Just getting into broke coyote hunting. And by broke I mean WILL NOT run a deer or fox. Anybody in this part of the country just run just yotes? Thanks in advance.

Almost forgot, I'm only interested in running hounds. Thanks
Andyva
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: Looking Broke Coyote Dog

Postby Andyva » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:31 pm

My wife's people is from down that way. I sent you a PM, look that guy up. On Facebook, I don't believe he is on here. Finding one that don't run deer is going to be tough down there, most of them boys have deer legs hanging in the pens before the pups eyes open. He catches some on the outside, but he deer hunts the same dogs. If he had one straight jump dog for coyote he probably wouldn't sell it. He probably knows somebody that has something. I was looking for the same thing and he knew a guy, but it was just too far for me, and wouldn't have worked out good with the whole visiting family thing.
#LHB#

Postby #LHB# » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:43 pm

Hey thanks man. Yea I have deer hounds that will drive one once it gets up. I have two that I am trying to break but it would be easier if I had one that would help me out.
BAR BAR 2
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby BAR BAR 2 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:49 pm

You might look up, "The Chase" magazine. It is geared toward running dogs. They have a decent classified section and a list of all the kennels that raise registered running hounds. You might find some contact information for someone close by.

Tex
=2
#LHB#

Postby #LHB# » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:53 pm

Thanks BAR. I will check that out. I don't care if they have papers or not.
BAR BAR 2
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby BAR BAR 2 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:49 pm

I only mentioned the papers, because they have a list of all registered kennels raising running bred hounds.

Tex
=2
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:16 am

Be careful trying to break your dogs off deer, you can have them broke off running anything really quick. They will go back running but will stay confused and won't be the same dogs for a while.
#LHB#

Postby #LHB# » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:31 am

Yea we fox hunt with broke dogs, bear hunt too so I no it can be done it may just take a while. Once I get him up I can pack deer hounds do them. Just got to get him jumped first. Thanks everybody.
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:32 am

We have a dog that will take a coyote track from the road very well. He is broke I guess. He hasn't ran a deer yet this season but its early. I seen 2 big bucks jump up right in front of him the other day and he run back to the truck. In other words he is having a bit of trouble with "going hunting" at the moment. He will damn sure enough take a track though right now and is the best track dog we own. We were pretty hard on him the last couple years for bumping deer here and there so like I said his free cast right now is sketchy and you gotta walk him and reassure him and then he will go. Taking a track though he don't even look back. You can pm me or whatever if interested. Only thing is we are a long long ways away.
#LHB#

Postby #LHB# » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:27 pm

Ran 2 today but only killed one. Thanks Mr Edwards I will be in touch with you tomorrow. Thank you!
#LHB#

Postby #LHB# » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:55 pm

Mr Edwards. We hunt some pretty rough thick and nasty stuff here in eastern NC as well as fields. I have herd it takes a pretty good learning curve from a dog that will hunt in the thick verses open land. Is that your experience? Also does the dog mind gunfire? Again thank you.
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:45 pm

I guess it has been my experience sorta yes but the good ones are good. My old man has brought coon dogs up here from Alabama and all over the south in January and turned em loose and they were rock stars. Good dogs are good dogs no matter where ya go. Some are just better than others in certain areas.
#LHB#

Postby #LHB# » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:48 pm

Mr Edwards I sent you a pm.
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:35 pm

If you did I didn't get it.
#LHB#