Why a x breed

A place to talk about coyote Hunting with dogs
Jon boy
Facebook ID: 0

Why a x breed

Postby Jon boy » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:48 am

I have been told some people like a running x tree hound and was wondering if there was anything the get from it. One old guy said his father In law run trigg x treeing Walker's that would run and catch deer during the day and tree coon and bobcats at night.
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Why a x breed

Postby al baldwin » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:20 pm

Well if a guy told you there was dogs than ran deer during the day, coon & cat only at night it must be true. However, I would have to see it, dogs that smart would be priceless. Coarse there is something to be gained by crossing tree to running dogs. Thing is one has to be lucky enough
to pick the right pup from the litter.
Deff
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Deff » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:08 am

Since this is posted in the "Coyote Hunting" section, I can see how a "head in the air" style dog with a good nose would be desired! Speed, endurance, teamwork and smarts are essential or you will have tore up dogs! The only problem would be the lack of consistency when not breeding lines of dogs. The best coyote dog I ever had was a Snowy River line Blue Tick, The best bobcat dog was an accidental breeding of a neighbor's Black and Tan and a Heeler cow dog! That was the only pup out of a big litter that turned out though! Any potlickers I had that would chase a deer during the day, would really run amuck at night! Lol
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:21 am

I’ve ran deer with dogs all my life and never seen a pack of dogs that could run down and catch a HEALTHY deer in my part of the country. I wouldn’t take a pack of deer dogs to the woods at night expecting to tree a lot of coons. You can take cur dogs and keep them in the woods night and day enough that they will be pretty good run and catch dogs in daytime and better than average tree dogs st night. Blackmouth cur seem to work better at that than any other breed.
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:21 pm

I am not doubting anyone/s word that dogs cannot catch a healthy deer in other parts of the country. However, can tell you for sure dogs that run to catch, can sure catch them in S. W. Or. First time I ever experienced that was close to 60 years ago, by a female that was as coonhound bred as they get. Believe anyone that has followed hounds to make sure what they are running knows a pack of conditioned hounds that run to catch can make catching a deer look easy here. Al
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:46 pm

I’m with mule man, I’ve ran deer dogs my entire life, have 4 deer hounds now been running them nearly every day since Nov. 9th. All of them are Chase Registers Walkers. I have never seen a pack of hounds run down a healthy deer here in my country. Most of the time the faster the dogs are the farther ahead of them the deer is. A slow dog, deer seem to hop around and stay just ahead but fast dogs will make one line out and leave the country, after about 10 miles dogs are just trailing.
As far as coyote hunting goes, I don’t see how crossing tree stock into your hounds would be an advantage at all.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:30 am

Scrub, ten miles away from the jump is a pretty good piece. I don’t recall picking up dogs that far. Running something a total of ten miles is not that hard to do but ending up a span of ten miles from the jump is a pretty good stretch. I think about five miles is my dogs limit and they will be strung out 1/2 mile just following, not running. Usually if game runs out of the territory they are out from under my dogs in about an hour. Sixty minutes of solid running is not a bad race. Put a stop watch on your races and most don’t last as long as they seem.
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:57 pm

Scrub are those whitetails you are running? Agree would be no need to cross tree to running for coyote dogs. Dogs that run deer here will get your permission to hunt on private ground terminated in a hurry. That is one reason I advise beginners to strive to start those pups with clean mentors if at all possible. My experience is if young dogs are allowed to run deer to the point it becomes a habit they most likely will be much harder to break where they are a real pleasure to hunt as mature dogs. I feed the deer here on my place, have kennels very close to a small orchard, apples are left to attract the deer that feed often in the day hours. Coarse my real hunting days are behind me.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:00 pm

Al, how do people get that bent out of shape because dogs run a deer.
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:46 pm

Muleman, suppose it/s just a tradition, they are looked at as a food source, others consider them pets, then some guides make part of their living guiding some city folks. Here there is a # of predators that take a toll on the deer population, cougar, bear, coyote & bobcat. Add those to the cold snow in the high country, the largest deer population is on the ranch lands & in towns.
Andyva
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Andyva » Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:20 pm

You know the rules. If a dog barks on a piece of property the big bucks will leave. If the dogs run deer all the deer will leave, for years. At least that is the way I've had it explained by stand hunters. Funny thing, when you hunt at a deer dog hunt club, a lot of times the shooters vote to run the same block again after you get caught up from the morning hunt. That way the does and forkhorns aren't in there to destract the dogs and you stand a chance of getting the big one on his feet. I guess those deer didn't read the rules in field and stream, or maybe southern deer can't read.
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:01 pm

Muleman I deer hunt between 2 lakes that are about 10 miles apart, it is not uncommon to jump a deer on the edge of one lake and it goes to the other one, most of the time does not take a direct route.
Al, yes whitetails. I have 2 packs of dogs, 4 deer dogs, 5 broke fox/bobcat dogs. I agree, it is a lot easier to have clean dogs if you never let them run trash to start with.
Muleman, you would not believe how bent out of shape people around here get if your dog steps foot on their property, heaven forbid if they were to run a deer off of it. It’s bad enough that Florida passed a law that all deer, fox, coyote and hog dogs must have tracking and correction collar to be hunted. Deer dog hunting clubs must register and be permitted by the state, if there are 3 confirmed dog trespassing complaints against your club the permit can be revoked.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:30 pm

Scrub, we have about the same rules on the NF land but it only during deer season. I do most of my running in daytime from Feb. Mar. 1/2 of Apr. down about a month for turkey then back up the remainder of year.if you don’t run dogs during daylight hours during deer season ,you have no problems. I run at night,right after dark till around midnight or midnight till daylight. That tell you the deer hunters are controlling the woods because the rest of the year everybody is glad to see me running predators off there leases. If you don’t own it, you have to bear it but you don’t have to smile.
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:56 pm

Thanks for reply scrub.
Last edited by al baldwin on Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:30 am

Al, I call my fox/cat dogs broke, if any of the 3 older ones leave the road or open I am confident it is right. Never known how pressure broke they are because I don’t hunt with anyone who’s hounds are not the same.But one night this summer a friend and I was hunting together running a fox they was having a hard time with. We probably had too many puppies and not enough old dogs. My friend had 4 started pups and 1 experienced dog, I had 2 started pups and 2 experienced dogs. This fox had put some distance between them as they were just following when they made a several minute loose, then all of a sudden the race was on in full cry like they were looking at it. I told my friend, that don’t sound right I don’t heard ary one of the old dogs. We jumped in the trucks and tore out toward them and met all 3 old dogs coming up the road toward the truck getting away from the race. We loaded them got ahead of the race, saw the deer and proceeded to do some trash breaking. I was proud of the 3 older dogs that night. I know some would have rather they stay out there and find where the fox went, but as fast as that deal went south and the roar those pups were putting out, I want mine finding the truck and telling on the others in that situation.
Sorry about high jacking this post as this has nothing to do with cross breed coyote dogs, guess we should be shocked for trashing.
Sorry for all my babbling.

Return to “Coyote Hunting”