what breddo I need to run totes and tree bobcats

A place to Talk about Fox Hunting and Running Dogs.
oxvilles hillbilly
Facebook ID: 0

what breddo I need to run totes and tree bobcats

Postby oxvilles hillbilly » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:46 pm

I have always fox and coyote hunted never had bobcats around here but they are starting to get more populated going to have a season next winter I have ran a couple I think but my running hounds won't stay treed long enough for me to get there to see it do I need to run a treeing hound with them or just have a couple for the bobcats and a few for the coyotes
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: what breddo I need to run totes and tree bobcats

Postby 1bludawg » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:13 am

If you don't have a breed preference find someone who catches cat and get a pup from them .You can usually find some cat dogs that can pack the mail .You might want one pretty strongly tree bred if your yote dogs won't stay around the tree .What state are you in ?There are guys on here with good cat dogs if they have pups for sale.Good luck.
oxvilles hillbilly

Postby oxvilles hillbilly » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:37 am

West central illinois
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:50 pm

You might check with some of the guys in Wisconsin and Michigan for cat bred stock.
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:28 am

What's the terrain like where you are running them? Thick, or big timber, or open fields with thick woodlands/bottoms, is it swampy? I would think a pack of running dogs would be able to catch on top the ground. Are the dogs you hunt field trial bred? Do they bay/dog at a hole if you run a Fox or Yote into a den? The running dogs I've seen that were good tree/locate dogs all's had 1 thing in common, they liked to catch game, and we're smart enough to eventually look where they last smelled the game and look for him when they can't find the track by casting forward. Also like to hang game that I've caught up in a low tree and get the dogs excited and treeing the dead Fox/cat , then pull it down to them, seems to help bring out the desire to tree in the dogs that have the inclination
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:13 pm

If you use Garmin to track your dogs you could also mark the spot where the race ended and walk to that spot and begin to look for the cat in a tree, or caught on the ground. Sometimes you can use the tools at your disposal to get the same results as a dog that trees hard.
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO
oxvilles hillbilly

Postby oxvilles hillbilly » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:01 pm

Hunt lot of timber pretty brushy and hilly all the dogs will fight and bay just can't keep them at the tree didn't think of using the garmin I'll try that thanks for the advice
Bon Plott
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bon Plott » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:05 pm

do you walk in a tree dog to take the track if the cat has left and the runnining dogs are in the next block looking or running something else? I have run with some triggs that will tree or aleast keep the cat up but many pure rrunningdogs wont even stay with a dead coyote long enough to get your hands on them. look for a breed that will stay where the animal goes, tree, rocks holes or beaver house if they dont stay you will always be guessing if they dont bay tight and the cat gets gone your garmin may lie to youabout the tree
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:53 am

southern fox
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 100005518713786

Postby southern fox » Sat May 28, 2016 2:26 pm

I BELIEVE U NEED TO FIND WHAT U LIKE , OR WHAT U WANT TO DO , I PERSONALLY DONT WANT A TREE DOG CAUSE I AINT GOING TO THE TREE TO SEE, I DONT GO TO KILL ANYTHING JUST TO ENJOY THE RACE, BUT THEY WILL CATCH ON THE GROUND AND STAY WITH IT , TILL I GET THERE , I DONT LIKE GOING TO THEM IN THE SUMMER BECAUSE OF RATTLE SNAKES, WITH ALL THOSE DOGS RASING HELL U CANT HEAR THE SNAKE SO I WAIT TILL THEY EAT HIM AND COME OUT , NOW IN THE WINTER I WILL GO TO THEM , I BELIEVE IF U USED A TREE DOG U BETTER GET ONE THAT WILL ALREADY TREE CAUSE THE RUNNING DOGS THAT LEAVE THE TREE WILL TEACH HIM NOT TO TREE , I WOULD THINK, OR AS I SAY CORRUPT HIM IN THERE WAY , IF I HUNTED FOR THE HIDE I WOULD FORSURE USE A TREE DOG , WITH EITHER FOX OR CAT .

Return to “Fox Hunting”