Hounds Running

A place to Talk about Fox Hunting and Running Dogs.
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Hounds Running

Postby perk » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:17 pm

https://vimeo.com/215885032

Saw this clip today on my phone, from 4 years ago, was listening and could pick out the mouths of several nice dogs that’s no longer around, made me reminisce a little so I posted it. Just posting a good memory, Hope y’all enjoy,
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Hounds Running

Postby macedonia mule man » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:23 am

Perk, when you have a pack of hounds lined and running a line, how many do you think are actually smelling game? Say a pack of 12and up.
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:05 pm

Any of them in the pack that are worth owning are able to smell the game muleman. And I don't like them in a line I want them in a pack, like it when you can throw a blanket over them because they are so close. And when dogs are pushing one to catch him, breathing the same air as the game, they get him stinking, they are smelling body scent not just from the ground. Scent is hanging in the air, on the bushes and leaves that the animal has rubbed against. Dogs can be off the exact track line quite a bit and still smelling the game able to turn when he turns. Dogs at this point should be heads up running, or heads up far as they can lift them and still run track like it should.
Perk
EGO is not your AMIGO
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:34 am

Mule....If you stood 25 ppl side by side in a single file line starting 2 feet away from a skunk hit dead in the road, do you think only the 1st 4 or 5 people in line would smell the skunk or do you think the scent would be strong enough for probably everyone to smell it?
EGO is not your AMIGO
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:17 pm

The only thing I really know for sure is first smeller is usually the rottin fellow.
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby scrubrunner » Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:39 am

I know a lot of times, I can smell a fox after it and all the hounds have crossed the road, so I know ALL the hounds can smell it no matter how many are running it.
Other times smelling conditions are tough, fox is not very far ahead of a large pack but only a few opening. Sounds more like trailing than running.
Nobody post those races (if you even call it a race, hounds struggling just to follow) but I think it does em good to have to work harder with their nose.
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:38 pm

Perk for sure there is distinction in the mouths of those dogs!

That was a good analogy with skunk. I wholeheartedly agree with you on that too. It’s what allows dogs to drift on tracks and plays a part in some dogs being able to cut corners in my opinion. That is one of the most fun things I’ve watched dogs do is run a hot track. I have seen the hog(s) cross open fields here and the dogs come out of the woods running that track and never get close to straddling it. They might be 20 yards or better to one side and running parallel to it. Like you say, heads up and running just as hard as they could go. One particular hunt I remember when this happened, the hogs crossed a bottom that was 3/4 of a mile of open cow pasture. All 5 dogs, all related, came out off the wooded hill after the hog they had bayed was caught. So the hogs were completely out of sight into another set of woods when they came out. It looked like a cheetah race going across that bottom and they definitely were not running on top of the track. They were bayed on those hogs 400 yards into that second set of woods in no time. I can remember wondering when they hit the second wood line how long it was going to take them to get bayed again. I don’t seem like it took a minute, it was so quick. I have no doubt all 5 dogs were smelling it and all 5 were pushing to bay it for themselves.

I have wondered several times when reading stories about bear, cat, fox, coyote hunts how many of the dogs are carrying the pack. I know they are all singing and moving together and I’m sure they all smell it. But, even though they smell it, how many of them are just on a joy ride with their buddies and just singing along. Dogs, be it cur or hound bred, can get excited and bark out of excitement or when they feel like they starting to lag behind or whatever. Kinda like gang bangers all rousting each other up, get him bro….yeah get him bro, don’t let him punk you bro….yeah imma kick his $$$ too bro! Lol how do y’all as pack hunters determine when that is happening? I know for me I rotate dogs and put each dog in the “lead dog” role so that I know or get a better understanding of each dog. I cast them solo or maybe with dogs that are not nearly as experienced to see if they have the want to to carry the torch. I have one now that will be at every bay and bays really nice. But he is being out done by two younger dogs more and more every hunt. They relay faster, bay more hogs for themselves and in my opinion push a track harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:59 pm

Law, if you could follow along behind a pack and see what’s happening you would be surprised. Dogs will open on another dogs body language, dogs will roll in something dead when hunting a loss, they will stop and lick a spot where somebody had a snack. A pack of dogs are completely different when running hot body scent than when just following body scent. Your pack leaders usually show up when they take the race from just following back to a running race several times in a 3 hr. Race.
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:17 am

Mule man I have no doubt that it would be educational to be able stay up with a pack and watch. When I was a much younger fella, and before we had tracking systems, my buddy and I did a pretty good job of staying close to the dogs. We were in pretty good shape and I did a whole lot of learning being out there afoot with the dogs. I learned about the dogs and the hogs seeing it first hand and not guessing about what happened. I think it made me a much better hunter in every way. Not that I’m all that good now but just think how bad I was lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Fox Hunting”