Let’s talk.

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
Redwood Coonhounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000073410597

Re: Let’s talk.

Postby Redwood Coonhounds » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:14 pm

Lawdawg, I use them just the same as my hounds. Truck to tree. My male is exceptional, he's as good as any I've had. He has his own style, but he rigs, roads starts, trails and even opens on a jump, bays and trees. He has a lot of range, speed and bottom, very tough and intelligent dog. My females are a little more typical cur, they are shorter range when hunting for a track, they can trail head down, but its gotta be pretty hot, they are silent, very fast and tough, the youngest one doesn't tree as consistent, more like a running dog in a lot of ways.

But they were raised and trained and always hunted just like my hounds, so they don't know any better. I think if you took one trained for anything else and tried to run them on bear, they wouldn't do as good, but they started out the gate on tree game. Bear, Coon and Squirrel (and I let them kill a few coyotes, which is something I don't allow the hounds to do) I think they love all of it equally lol, goofy dogs. I think my male is definitely one of a kind, especially for the breed and I'll probably never have another like him, but that goes for all really good dogs. There's usually never another exactly like them, but I try to recreate them anyway.
Cassandra Davis
Redwood's Treeing Walker Coonhounds
& Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dogs
http://www.RedwoodCoonhounds.net/
https://www.facebook.com/RedwoodKennelsHounds
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:08 pm

Redwood, where did your Catahoula come from and are they reg. Down in The Louisiana register?
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:03 am

That’s really neat Redwood. I know of one other catahoula man that says he likes to start his hog dogs out on bear. He says he thinks it makes them better hog dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Redwood Coonhounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000073410597

Postby Redwood Coonhounds » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:59 pm

Mule Man, yes they are Registered with the NALC. The two older dogs came from breeders here in California, and my youngest one I bred myself out of my older bitch and a NALC male out of Utah...

Lawdawg, I think a dog started on bears has way more of an advantage. With trailing, range, and learning how to be respectful. If you take a dog who's been on hogs its whole life and throw it on a bear on the ground, your going to have a dead dog. They can't treat a bear the way they do a hog, there has to be respect. I put my curs in a baypen once or twice, and they have too much respect for a hog, they wouldn't make pen dogs for sure.
Cassandra Davis
Redwood's Treeing Walker Coonhounds
& Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dogs
http://www.RedwoodCoonhounds.net/
https://www.facebook.com/RedwoodKennelsHounds
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:50 pm

I understand what you mean. I’ve never once been on bear so I couldn’t tell you either way. I’ve seen pictures of some of your hounds and cats, both are nice looking animals.

Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:32 pm

Well my son was born today! 7lbs 6oz at 10:20 am. I guess I’ll be home a little while…
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:58 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!! Hope all is well with him and his mother!
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:15 am

That’s awesome congrats to you and your family

Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:59 am

Thanks fellas! Pretty blessed, I have my two little girls sleeping in my lap right now. The wife and son are still in the hospital. I figure they’ll release her tomorrow or the day after. I’m gonna try to spend the next couple days getting stuff lined out so my girls and I can go hunting for a few days.
I almost have my Max II ready to hunt from. It’s by no means finished, but I’ll be able to take the girls out with me, some.
rum3002576
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby rum3002576 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:48 am

Congratulations. That’s awesome to hear
bearsinva

Congrats

Postby bearsinva » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:21 pm

Those little girls won't know what to do with a little brother. Best wishes and keep everyone healthy!
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:23 am

Thanks guys!
He and the wife are home now. Everyone is adjusting well. The youngest is having a little bit of trouble because she’s used to being able to crawl all over mom and the couch. All is good though!
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:40 am

Youngins are the best but you’re fixing see life differently with that third being in the mix. On top of that he’s your only boy. Probably that middle girl will change more than anyone. I was the oldest of 3. I had 2 younger sisters and I told them all their life that they owed their life to me. I told them that I was the reason mom and dad had 2 more. Naturally they asked why? I told them that they were so proud of the perfection they accomplished the first time that they decided to have another. After the 2nd failed attempt to duplicate the first child they just quit because it was going down hill fast. Then I’d so y’all are welcome and I love you no matter how ashamed mom and dad are. Deep down I think they really love y’all too it’s just a lot to deal with. LMBO that always went over like lead ballon. I really do love my sisters. It makes me feel good to know when they need me they know 100% they can count on me to be there and have their back, just like I know with them. I doubt your kids will be any different. They will fuss and fight and pick with each other but won’t anybody else be able to do it. Life is going to be different than it was when we were growing up. Your parenting will be harder and face different obstacles.

Rgillespie43

Postby Rgillespie43 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:08 pm

I don't even have Facebook but I agree completely.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:18 pm

Lawdawgharris
That’s hilarious! I imagine there will probably be lots of that kinda stuff happening in the future. I have tried to make it a point to try not to ignore the girls now that we have a newborn. I let the wife handle him while I take care of the girls.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogsâ€