Terrier Tracking Collars.

Post your product review or ask questions on products

Cooch
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Terrier Tracking Collars.

Postby Cooch » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:50 pm

I'm looking at acquiring a couple of tracking collars suitable for fitting to 12" terriers that both work tight cover and dens, and have the habit of disappearing over the horizon when on a hot scent. Many's the time I've only found my No.1 bitch by covering a lot of ground, checking every known hollow tree, log and hole.

The Garmin collars that I'm currently running on hounds are too big, and so are most of the telemetry collars thjat I'm seeing most of the houndsmen using. The "terrier-finder" style designed for underground work seem to be typically of very limited range.

It wouldn't be hard to order wild-life tracking transmitters, but rather than reinvent the wheel, I thought it worth asking what others have come up with, and if there's anything suitable - with or without modification - off the shelf.

Regards.... Peter.
bearcat
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Terrier Tracking Collars.

Postby bearcat » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:01 am

Johnson makes, or at least used to make a ultralight puppy/beagle collar, much smaller than their hound collars, that only weighed 4 ozs. Marshall collars are also fairly small. Other brands make light collars, but these are the two smallest bulkwise that I know of, and I assume bulk would be even more important than weight in a den dog.
Pineywoods

Postby Pineywoods » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:50 am

Pineywoods

Postby Pineywoods » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:53 am

Cooch
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Cooch » Wed May 01, 2013 10:09 am

Still looking....
outlaw13
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby outlaw13 » Wed May 01, 2013 1:50 pm

I have no idea if this is completely stupid of me for saying. But what about some kind of bell? I have a hound that doesn't bark on trail until game is in front of her then she only gives little yips. I put a bell on her and i can know what she is doing or where she is at a long ways away. Sorry if this will not apply for you at all and is just a dumb idea.
If you're not offending idiots, you might be an idiot.- Ted Nugent

Go Big or Go Home!!!

Clint Berg
Liz ODell
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Liz ODell » Wed May 01, 2013 11:18 pm

They make tracking collars that are for earth dogs...not sure where to find them maybe start looking on some lurcher/terrier sites? I don't know how far the range is above ground but have seen videos of people using them to find and dig dogs out below.
Steve White
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Steve White » Thu May 02, 2013 4:38 pm

I don't know how big around the neck of your dogs are. But I know you can get the DC40 down to close to 2" around. 2.5"ID PVC pipe will use the second from last hole on the collar. A bit of modification on a 30 with dayglo collar could come close to the same thing. tt10 collars are going to be around 3.5". That works out to be around an 8" collar on the DC40. That's pretty darn small! But I don't know the neck size on the dogs you hunt.
Steve White
White's Woods & Waters
http://www.whiteswoodsandwaters.com
steve@whiteswoodsandwaters.com
715-892-0032
Cooch
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Cooch » Fri May 03, 2013 8:02 am

Thankyou for the suggestions, but going back to my original post, my needs are fairly specific.

(1) Has at least 500 yards range above ground. Preferably more.
(2) Is small and light enough so as to not badly impede the dogs.

I have a couple of DC30s, and the thought of one on my smaller terrier is quite comical.
Budd Denny
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Budd Denny » Fri May 03, 2013 10:52 am

Tracker used to make a very small tracking unit and the collar was about as big around as a quarter, it was good out to maybe 500 yards, ran on watch type batteries. I have one but a friend has it down south. Tracker made and sold very few because the demand was not there. I am sure it would not take the abuse a coon can dish out, or transmit once the dog went below ground.

Seen this on ebay this morning, don't know anything about this brand but maybe you could do a little research.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRAK-Microwave- ... _21wt_1177
........Budd Denny..........
Al Vallejo
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Al Vallejo » Tue May 14, 2013 12:39 am

I use the DC-40s on my jagd terriers, I just replaced the collar with one that is suitable for their small necks. No interference in their movement. Saved my female this winter when we crossed 2 lion tracks and she split from the pack to trail one by herself. After killing the tom the others had treed, I began looking for her. She was 7 miles north of us working a lion on her own.

After seeing their track on a hunt, I wont turn my Jagds loose without the Garmin collar!

If they jump a bobcat, badger, fox or coyote while cold trailing a lion the chase or fight is on! These collars have saved me a lot of heart burn and tons of miles and time!

I keep my hounds broke off trash, but these little dogs are too much fun not to see that kick ass attitude against something else.

I don't have any experience with one under ground for extended time, I don't know of any system that does long range above ground and also does underground.

Have fun!
Al Vallejo
pitdawg913

Postby pitdawg913 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:38 am

I use the dc40's on my patterdales too, they fit em just fine and they can still hunt with em on no problem, they make digging collars that are tiny but they're only good for up to 60meters so that's not gonna help.
DirtyDave
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby DirtyDave » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:55 pm

I run a DC40 on my Jagd with no issues. Have not lost her underground. Even if the collar loses signal with the dog underground, it will still show on the map the last place it had a signal. (which should be where the hole is)
Budd Denny
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Budd Denny » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:24 pm

Hey pitdawg, did your buddy ever sell that Ortovox D1 locator?
........Budd Denny..........

Return to “Equipment and Product Review”