Let’s talk.

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
Hollowpoint
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: Let’s talk.

Postby Hollowpoint » Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:32 am

Ranch is down near San Antonio near Hondo, the place where the coyotes came into the hog bay was north of Houston. I'll most likely be driving right through Palestine on my way to Tyler, I do like the piney woods of east Texas.

Years ago, when I was in the Air Force I was stationed at Bergstrom AFB before it closed and Kelly AFB before it closed. It's like I have a curse for shutting down air bases or something.
I walk with Jagd's
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:17 pm

I enjoyed the East Texas years. I made a lot of good friends there. I’ve been gone from there over 20 years and still talk to them regularly. One the funniest stories I ever saw happen was up there. I had a buddy that was a nurse at the prison unit I worked at. He got into hog hunting with me and decided he wanted his own catch dog. Well had a family of catch dogs that were big and athletic dogs, real easy on the eyes. So I raised a litter and he got a big ole pretty brindle and white male pup. Well the dog got up old enough to start so he brings him. Well we get a couple of bays at once and the closest one was a shoat in a clump of briars. I told him that I was gonna go on to the other dogs and for him to let ole Mack go in and get the shoat. I knew the other dog was gonna help as soon as something else stuck it’s head in like it was even going to attempt to catch that small hog. Well I didn’t get far and the other bay busted so I went back to my buddy. When I get there, the other bay dog has relayed already. My buddy though has legged this shoat and drug it and the bulldog out of the briars into the open. It’s a heck of a scene now. My buddy, with his face scratched up and bleeding and his arms, is down on his knees. He has ole Mack by the collar and holding pushed back away from himself. He’s in a bent over position with his other arm extended the opposite way back between his legs holding this 40 pound shoat by a hind leg. Ole Mack is doing everything he can to get back to the shoat and the shoat has my buddy caught by the seat of his overalls and is just shaking away at them. Now I’m gonna tell y’all, I was in tears and laughing so hard I couldn’t make a sound. My buddy heard my bulldog rustling and wanting to come help and looked back over his shoulder to see me and the state I was in. He started cussing me! “Well are ya gonna stand there all day laughing your a$$ off or are ya gonna come help me?” I finally got my breath and I told “ I don’t quite know what to do for ya, do ya want me to send my bulldog?” He said “ well HELL NO!” I never laughed any harder I don’t believe. I walked over and got the shoat and he tied ole Mack off and laid down on the ground whooped. When he finally got his air back I was still laughing my butt off. His first words were” I don’t guess you’re gonna tell anybody about this are ya!” Man man, if we hadn’t caught another hog that hunt it would’ve still been a great hunt.

I’ve hunt a time or two down at Catula. That was a little different than here at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Beebout-it » Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:13 am

:lol: finally making the trip I've been trying to for 3 years Saturday, going to head to New Mexico and chase some bears for a week :D been putting in 70-80 hour weeks and finally finished the airport project I've been on most of the year. Can't wait to see some new country.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:29 am

Took the day off to get my poop in a group. Came across this video, was the first time I turned my 3 youngest females out without the old girl, they caught 3 lions 80 yards apart...I was pleased June reminds me of an outfielder catching a pop fly :lol: https://youtube.com/shorts/b9Iq3PomV0w? ... FdpIDXAlJ0
Hollowpoint
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Hollowpoint » Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:48 pm

I’m writing this from somewhere in Texas, we made a round with the dogs that have been in the kennel for the last two months. We get to the ranch and check the first spot, two dogs trailed off for about 240 yards then returned.

We go check the next spot and three dogs get going, they go about 280 yards and start barking bayed. Let the other non catch dogs out they get in the mix, drop the catch dogs, 1 bull dog, 1 bull/bird cross and 1 bmc, ol’ boy can’t get down there so I head to the action through a cedar thicket by myself.

As I get closer there’s not much noise so I know it’s a mean one, I hear dogs fighting in the darkness. I ease in a little closer and the boar breaks loose from the dogs, pucker factor increases exponentially now, the locomotive and the dog train are coming down the tracks and I’m in the way.

Luckily he veers to my left just out of my lights range so I still don’t have eyes on him yet, he gets about 25 yards and the dogs put the brakes on him. They stop in a clearing, I get to the crime scene and try to get behind him so I can leg and stick him. He’s sitting on his haunches when I get there, but when he sees me he gets up and spins dragging the dogs with him trying to get at me. I’m concerned for my safety while trying to get to the back end. The dogs finally get him under control just long enough for me to get a quick stick in him, that seemed to take a little steam out of him. He slowed enough now I just grabbed his tail and put the tassie tiger in him until I hit the oil pump.

We had a couple dogs get nicked up a bit, we tended to their wounds and called it a night thankful for what we got done. I’m not as experienced as the guys that do this all the time but we finished the fight we started with minimal damage. Not gonna lie, he didn’t have the biggest teeth, but he had the biggest heart of any hog I’ve been on.

Website says pics are too large to post, I’ll try to figure something out.
I walk with Jagd's
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:02 pm

Sounds like it was exciting at the least lol.

Hollowpoint
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Hollowpoint » Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:22 pm

Yes sir, it was exciting.
I walk with Jagd's
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:35 pm

As long as the dogs are all still sound after a big boar then that’s always a win in my book! Honestly, I have had boars eith 1-2” cutters hurt more dogs than ones with 3” plus. The way I figured it, they can get more of a bite before they chomp down when they only have 1-2” of cutter.
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:11 am

Muleman, I’ve got a couple dogs I can rig loose on the box. When they strike I can stop and tell em to go find it. If they can’t work it out I tell em to load up and they get back on top, I don’t have to get out of the truck. I usually do get out to see if I can find a track though.
But I like roading dogs too though as I have a lot of roads that are so dim the bushes would knock dogs off the box. Sure don’t want to drive a nice truck down em because it won’t be a nice truck when you come out the other end.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:16 pm

Law, I met an old hog hunter from down around Caldwell, went by Cowboy somebody. He had a neckless of hog tusk and a thousand wild stories. Really enjoyed his company. That was 20 yrs ago, he is probably gone now. I think he was high on blue Lacy.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:27 pm

Scrub, that’s about the only way I would want to rig. Most everyone I’ve hunted with keep them snapped, never seen any left up free run. Most all my dogs rig out of the box but I never stop. I’m gonna stop next time they rig hard and see if they run it or just barkin at scent. I think a lot of rig dogs will bark at things they want run. Lot more rigs than runs.
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:27 pm

Muleman, was his name by chance Pete Gonzales?

lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:29 pm

Or Walter White maybe?

macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:10 pm

Law, none of those jog my memory.
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:33 pm

Lol I hear ya. I was just getting back to this area about that time frame. I had been living in Palestine Tx for 5 years. There have been about a million hog hunters in this area in the last 20 years. Most of them quit but were replaced by 2 more for everyone that quit I think.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”