when to cull?

Talk about Coon Hunting
BWTB
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

when to cull?

Postby BWTB » Sun May 10, 2009 1:28 am

I have noticed that a large % of the coons I run end at a hole in the ground or a huge pile of tree limbs or some other place other than a tree. my dogs seem to move a track fairly well but they have a hard time pressuring a coon before it can get to its favorite hiding place. Are my dogs moving the track too slow? Are they not locating on the ground? Are the coons in my area over hunted and smart?
I have 2 hounds one is loud with a loose mouth the other is real gritty.
They are 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 years old. Neither dog seems to move a track better than the other but both can move a coon track at deer speed sometimes for several hundred yards then they struggle for 5 or 10 min. before moving it again.
do my dogs need more practice? Should I cull?
Last edited by BWTB on Mon May 11, 2009 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
livetohunt
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Could use some good advice?

Postby livetohunt » Sun May 10, 2009 2:20 am

Have you tryed hunting in a new spot? If so do they do the same thing there?
BWTB
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: Could use some good advice?

Postby BWTB » Sun May 10, 2009 4:15 am

I have tried a few different places. The problem seems worse if the ground cover is thick. It seems like the coons are hiding on the ground and waiting for a chance to sneak out, but my dogs cant find them.
BULFYTR
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: when to cull?

Postby BULFYTR » Mon May 11, 2009 3:12 pm

Keep hunting them 90% of the coons we catch are on the ground
budmandan
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby budmandan » Tue May 12, 2009 6:16 am

Could they be running the tracks backwards? This would explain ending up in dens all the time.
not color blind
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby not color blind » Tue May 12, 2009 9:44 am

Maybe try hunting them with someone elses dogs that you know catch coons. That should tell you alot. If the same thing happens with there dogs, then you have no problems.
BWTB
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby BWTB » Thu May 14, 2009 2:45 pm

Thaks for the help. I will try them for a while longer. I don't think they run too many backwards, but I should probably check that . I don't get much opportunity to hunt with other hounds as my friends run bird dogs, but I agree that would be the best way to figure this out.
The dogs are fine I need new friends :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bearkiller
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Bearkiller » Thu May 14, 2009 9:21 pm

I catch more than half my coons in holes and on the ground, too. Its where we hunt. My dogs tree just fine and don't have a problem with tracks. Its that the coons I hunt live in the thick nasty cat tails and will run past trees to get caught on the ground. I don't know where santaquin is but surely theres someone around to turn loose with.
Don't buy the hype.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson
montananative
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby montananative » Fri May 15, 2009 5:13 pm

if they run coon i woulnt be worried about it. i dont care how much pressure a dog puts on a coon, some just arent going to tree. some of the bigger one ive seen will fight, and some have got away. some will head strait to water, ive had that happen a couple times, and then some hit holes. thats jsut coon hunting in my opinion. i would be keepin theese dogs. and if u dont like em, i would bet someone would buy them from you. good luck
BWTB
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby BWTB » Fri May 15, 2009 5:22 pm

Thanks, I appreciate it. I have a lot of fun hunting these dogs, and sometimes they make me real proud, I just hope locating is a skill they gain with more experience.
Treedog/Boone
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Treedog/Boone » Mon May 18, 2009 2:30 am

Go to utahfederationofhoundsmen.com and get in touch with them they will hook you up with some one in your area to hunt with. Also they have events every so often that you can take your dogs to.
4-LEAF Kennels
Greg Cover
801-652-2997
bearman
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby bearman » Tue May 19, 2009 4:53 pm

TREE DOG/BOONE :Go to utahfederationofhoundsmen.com and get in touch with them they will hook you up with some one in your area to hunt with.

You quit already? The Haskells live in Santaquin
BOOTS
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby BOOTS » Tue May 26, 2009 10:45 pm

you said the dogs were 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 most hounds don't reach there prime untill between 4 to 6 yrs so I think you have time.
Be Safe & Have Fun
http://gotgritt.com
BWTB
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby BWTB » Wed May 27, 2009 3:46 am

Thanks, boots I just had a great weekend with them, Your right they seem to be getting better, especially my older dog.
Rem700
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Rem700 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:03 pm

My english female is 3 and she's just really turning on this year, she'll still tree porkies, but she's a strong tree dog on coon so i can tell when she's lying to me, i made her a show champ and she'll be a grand water champ soon, and i'll try for field champ this year yet, maybe next year she'll be ready for the night hunts.....if i had given up on her two years ago i would have missed out on alot of fun, and thats what it's really about, isn't it?
Eternal vigilance is the price of freedom

Return to “Coon Hunting”